It has been over a year since NewArchivist was born. While a year is just a blip in human terms, it is like 37.4 years in Internet terms. I have made some slight changes and have some ideas in store for the future, and while I do not like the idea of this blog talking about this blog, I did want to give you all an update.
- Contributers and Collaboration: We have consolidated our list of Regular Contributors and Guest Contributors into one Contributors list. This is due to the interest I have received from people wanting to write something for the blog, which has both surprised and made me very happy. The regulars were with me from the start and will continue to post, for which I am very grateful. Please know that I am interested in all ideas you have and would love to see more people contribute in the coming year, as it is my goal to have NewArchivist remain a collaborative blog. Contact me if you have any questions or ideas.
- Link-O-Rama: I occasionally would post a set of links that I found interesting. I will now be doing that through the Link-O-Rama widget in the right sidebar. This widget is populated by the last five entries of my delicious account. You can also subscribe to this list via rss feed. That way you can get all NewArchivist all the time (if for some reason you would want that)!!
- From The Trenches: I received the most positive feedback regarding the From The Trenches series than anything I did here. I also learned that it is really hard to blog about your job hunting experiences, both through the participants and through personal experience (more on that later). We will still be hearing from people in the trenches, but I am also expanding this series to include other reflections and expert advice focused on finding employment. We will be kicking that off in a few days, so keep your eyes peeled!
- Other Stuff: I hope to continue to focus on topics facing new archivists, but I also want it to be made clear that we new professionals are contributing to the general knowledge and advancement of our profession as a whole. Any archive topic is fair game here and I hope to be writing and receiving contributions from others concerning general archive topics.
- New Ideas: I have received some great ideas from readers in the past year that I have not had time to get moving on, but I am focusing energy on these initiatives, including a user contributed wiki where people can add resources for new professionals, and ideas to formalize a new archives professional group. Stay tuned!
- New Look: I made some changes to the page structure and added a new header, I am a web design ninja!
Finally, thanks so much for your contributions, readership, and support. I will admit I am still surprised when someone tells me they are loyal readers. My first reaction is always like, “you read that?” Your loyalty makes it worth while, and I really hope I continue to deserve it in the coming year.